What makes South Wales such a great last minute destination?
South Wales - a perfect last minute destination
Being very easy to reach from the M4, South Wales makes an ideal last minute destination.
Once a very industrial area in Wales and famous for it's now closed coal mines, South Wales is becoming a popular holiday destination in Wales. There is industrial history scattered all over the Valleys and anyone with an interest in the like, should take some time to discover the South Wales Valleys.
But it's not all just about history in South Wales, there are also some very fine beaches to enjoy along with country parks, castles and heritage coastline to discover. Aberavon beach is as popular today as it was when the miners and their families came down from the Valleys for their annual holidays. Head to Cardiff to discover what our Capital City holds and don't forget a visit to Castell Coch whilst you are there. Head to the south Wales coast to find the Glamorgan Heritage Coast, stretching from Aberthaw to Porthcawl - this part of the Welsh coastline is stunning.
Hidden away behind Merthyr Tydfil is the Brecon Mountain Railway which will transport you on a magical steam journey alongside the Pontsticill Reservoir in the Brecon Beacons. There are also walks to be found around the reservoir too.
We've put together a list of a few great things to do in South Wales below...
- See what it was like to be a miner at the Big Pit Coal Museum in Blaenavon
- Visit St Fagans Museum near Cardiff to discover all about Welsh buildings
- Take a day out to visit the Gower and discover it's amazing beaches
- Mountain bikers will delight at the three centres at Afan, Cwmcarn and Bikepark Wales
- Spend a day in the caves at the National Showcaves at Dan yr Ogof
- Take a trip up the Wye Valley and discover Tintern Abbey
- Techniquest Science Discovery Centre in Cardiff will have the kids amazed
- Climb to the top of a lighthouse at Nash Point Lighthouse
If we've got your imagination racing about a last minute break in South Wales, take a look at our selection of
Last Minute Cottages in South Wales here...