What makes North Wales such a great last minute destination?
North Wales - a perfect last minute destination
Being close to Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham makes North Wales an ideal last minute holiday desination.
Most famous for the peak of Snowdonia, there is much more to North Wales than meets the eye. It has the largest concentration of Great Little Trains of Wales than any other area in Wales, with 6 railways operating within a 75 mile radius. There are Castles in practically every pricipal Town and a good deal more scattered around in the hills, valleys and on the mountains.
The coastline all around North Wales is stunningly beautiful with beaches such as Hells Mouth and Porth Neigwl on the Lleyn Peninsula being very popular with surfers. There is also the Ilse of Anglesey to explore with it's many neolithic sites just waiting to be discovered. It too has a good selection of beaches.
Inland, look for Bodnant Gardens. Plant lovers will delight here - A Grade 1 listed horticultural gem.
In the southern region of North Wales, Aberdyfi is tucked away at the mouth of the River Dyfi and is one of the most picturesque seaside Villages in Wales. There is plenty of beach with stunning views to the south and up the Dyfi Estuary to the mountains beyond.
We've put together a list of a few great things to do in North Wales below...
- Climb to the top of Snowdon or take the train if you're not feeling that energetic
- Take the narrow gauge railway from Caernarfon via Porthmadog and onto Blaenau Festiniog - you will never forget it!
- Attempt to find Whistling Sands beach on the Lleyn Peninsula
- Switch off the satnav and just get lost driving in the Snowdonia mountains
- Visit Criccieth Castle for views you won't believe
- Spend some time at Port Meirion, built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis to replicate the feel of an Italian Village
- Go surfing in the hills at Surf Snowdonia
- Ride in a cable car over Llandudno en-route to the Great Orme
If we've got your imagination racing about a last minute break in North Wales, take a look at our selection of
Last Minute Cottages in North Wales here...