What makes Mid Wales such a great last minute destination?
Mid Wales - a perfect last minute destination
Bordering England, Mid Wales makes for a great quick last minute getaway.
Mid Wales is home to the Brecon Beacons, a favourite among walkers and paragliders alike. Whilst people are busy walking through the hills and mountains the scene up above is not that different. A favourite landing spot can be found at the Brecon Beacons National Park Centre, just off the A470 some 4.5 miles south of Brecon. It makes for some interesting watching, plus there is lovely countryside to explore here.
North of Brecon beyond Builth Wells is the Elan Valley, now a series of reservoirs with beautifully ornate dams controlling the water levels, this is stunningly pretty countryside and should be on the to do list for all that visit Mid Wales. Continue upwards through the Elan Valley to reach the Cambrian Hills. At the T-junction you can turn left to head to Ceredigion or right will take you back towards Rhyader through more stunningly beautiful countryside.
There is also the small but perfectly formed Town of Hay on Wye, famous for it's bookshops and of course the Hay Festival - when the Town is packed with fans of literature and arts.
Mid Wales has something for everyone to enjoy, there are Castles to visit, nature reserves to discover, vineyards and much more.
We've put together a list of a few great things to do in Mid Wales below...
- Visit the Royal Welsh Show at Builth Wells in July
- Hire a small boat for a day out on the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal
- Look round every bookshop in Hay and come home with no books - I bet you can't!
- Take a picnic to White Castle and enjoy a glass of wine from the White Castle Vineyard nearby
- Spend time discovering the history of Tretower Court and Castle on the A479
- Discover the Crannog at Llangorse Lake and hire a canoe to see it from another perspective
- Visit Powis Castle and Gardens at Welshpool
If we've got your imagination racing about a last minute break in Mid Wales, take a look at our selection of
Last Minute Cottages in Mid Wales here...